Fall Salad Comfort Food Recipe
When Fall comes around I typically am ready for soups and stews. I could cook them everyday August usually causes my brain to look forward to the coming cool months and the comfort and enjoyment of those deliciously warm bowls of goodness. I must admit, that this is the time of year I become bored with salads. I no longer yearn for cool crisp salads. That was so yesterday, right? Well, yes and no. Fall is the time when I make a switch from cooling salads to those which pack a hearty and warming punch into my day. Making a switch periodically also offers me an ideal way to break salad boredom and still desire to eat my veggies.
Today I offer you my Boredom Buster Fall Salad recipe that is bursting with colors, taste and a little warm goodness that draws you in. Serve this as a vegetarian meal (this is a vegan recipe that all will enjoy)or pair it with a grilled chicken breast and you will find yourself revisiting this new comfort food again and again.
Boredom Buster Fall Salad
- 1 lb of small potatoes (baby reds, fingerlings, blue) halved
- 1 c shredded cabbage (green, red, or a combination)
- 1 pkg frozen peas
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 can beans (kidney, black, pinto) rinsed
- 4 c baby greens or baby spinach
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Oil & Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot filled with water to boil (about ¼- ½ of pot). Steam peas in a strainer, just until defrosted. Remove from pot and place in bowl.
- Add cabbage to boiling water in pot for 1 minute. Remove and place in bowl.
- Add potatoes. Cook until fork tender (about 10 min).
- While waiting for the potatoes to cook, add one tsp olive oil to a pan. Heat until sizzling. Sautee garlic for 30 seconds. Add baby greens and stir every 5-7 seconds. Do not wilt the greens, just warm them a bit. Remove to bowl immediately.
- Add potatoes, beans, and tomatoes. Drizzle on a little vinegar of your choice (balsamic is a great compliment to this dish). Salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve.
Fall in love with Salad!